Monday 21 October 2013

Autumn Cooking EDIT: Butternut Squash Risotto

One of the best things about Autumn is Autumn cooking. Cold weather food for chilly days to get a nice glow going in the kitchen. Butternut squash is that little bit cheaper this time of year so I though I'd experiment with a risotto.
You will need:
  • 1 butternut squash
  • 1 white onion
  • 700 ml chicken stock with white wine/cider
  • 300 grams risotto rice
  • Salt and pepper
  • Sage
  • Grated cheese (I used mature cheddar)
Step 1:
Cut up the squash into chunks and scoop out the seeds



Step 2:
Cover the squash in oil and roast for about 30 mins or until soft and golden

Optional:
Roast the seeds whilst your roasting the squash. I add a little paprika so they come out a little spicy. These go really well with soup or you could use them as added crunch with this recipe


Step 3:
Whilst the squash is roasting dice an onion 


Step 4:
In an oven proof dish, sweat the onion with a little liquid (white wine or cider) for 8-10 minutes or until soft and golden. To save your washing up find a dish you can use of the hob and the oven so you can put everything in there

Step 5:
Whilst sweating the onion make up the 700 ml of stock with a chicken stock cube and some white wine or cider (I used both as I had some odds and ends in)


Step 6:
Once the squash is roasted cut off the skin and cut up into small chunks (I used a knife and fork so I didn't burn my fingers - so easy!)


Step 7:
Put the small chunks in with the onions and some more stock and boil for 5 minutes. Then puree (I used a hand blender but a potato masher or food processor would work just as well)


Step 8:
Add the rice and then add the remaining stock gradually (leave a little behind in case it goes dry)

Step 9:
Add some butter, salt and pepper and some sage for seasoning


Step 10:
Cover with foil and pop into the oven for 30 minutes (I also marinated some chicken breasts to go with it)


Step 11:
Grate a load of cheese (I am not very accurate with this - but I do like cheese so this was on the generous side) and mix it into the rice just after it comes out the oven. This way it melts in easily and makes it nice and sticky


 Step 12:
All done! Serve up on warm plates so it stays hot (I did a simple chicken breast recipe and a salad). A cheeky glass of white wine went very well 


A really yummy recipe, the butternut squash goes really well with a creamy cheese and some tangy sage. Hope you enjoyed this recipe for a winter warmer. 
What are your favourite autumn recipes? Let me know in the comments 
Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment