Thursday 31 October 2013

Autumn Cooking EDIT #3 Pumpkin Spiced Latte

Happy Halloween! As winter starts to draw in my intake of hot beverages goes through the roof. I will never get bored of tea and coffee but it's fun to spice things up a little. I love the spiced pumpkin lattes they do at starbucks but they do tend to eat through my wallet a little. My solution was to buy the syrup (mine was about £10 online) and do it myself! 

Nothing better on a rainy Halloween right?

What you will need:
  • Coffee (I have a ground Colombian decaf)
  • Milk (almond milk is great as a dairy free alternative)
  • Spiced pumpkin syrup (available online)
  • Ground cinnamon 
Step 1:
Get that kettle boiling. Since I used ground coffee I made that up first and left it to brew for a few minutes while I prepared the rest. Instant coffee also works for this recipe but a good quality ground coffee will taste more like the starbucks version. 

Step 2:
Heat up your milk. I used a 1:3 ratio of milk to coffee so I just filled the bottom third of my mug with semi-skimmed milk and popped it in the microwave for about 2 minutes. You can use more or less milk depending on how strong you like your coffee. For a dairy free alternative almond or hazelnut milk is equally delicious.
If you want your coffee to foam nicely and look all pretty make sure your milk is really hot (be careful you don't burn yourself though!)


Step 3:
Put your syrup into the hot milk and stir it through. The part will depend on how strong your syrup is. This pumpkin spiced one is quite potent so I used about a tablespoon for a medium sized cup of coffee.

Step 4:
If you're using ground coffee it should have brewed nicely by now. Simply top up your mug with hot coffee and if your milk is really hot this should create a nice foam. I sprinkled a little ground cinnamon on top to make it extra seasonal.

Now sit back and enjoy. Hope you liked this recipe! Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment